Many of us probably never heard of the term essential oil until we returned to natural. That’s no surprise. Some of us may be surprised, however, to know that essential oils are not at all new and have been used historically for their medicinal and health benefits, as well as for cosmetic purposes.
Essential oils are so called not because we cannot live without them, but because they carry the “essence” of the plants from which they are derived. Here’s a quick look at three essential oils you should be using on your natural.
If you are not a do-it-yourself kind of person and are not into mixing oils and whipping up homemade butters, then look for products that incorporate these essential oils in their formulations.
Tea tree oil (the medicinal oil)
• Posses natural antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties that help keep the scalp clean, healthy and free of microbes. Many people who suffer from Acne use pure essential oils, like tea tree oil to help with this problem. It works as a natural remedy. If you find that it is too harsh for your skin, you can try diluting it with water or Aloe Vera gel.
• Unclogs the pores of the scalp, unblocks the hair follicles and removes dead cells. Prevents scalp
Conditions such as dandruff
• Keeps the scalp conditioned.
• Prevents and treats itching resulting from dry scalp.
Lavender oil (the soothing oil)
• Possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe and calm irritated scalps.
• Nourishes hair
• Keeps hair and scalp moisturized
• Improves blood circulation on the scalp aiding in hair growth
• Possesses antiseptic qualities that keep scalp bacteria and fungi free
• Treats dry scalp
Rosemary Oil (the balancing oil)
• Rosemary oil increases blood circulation to the scalp, which stimulates the hair follicles and promote faster hair growth.
• Controls oil so that hair and scalp are more balanced and less greasy.
• Reduces inflammation that can impede hair growth or cause hair loss.
• Makes hair shinier and healthier hair in appearance.
Add a few drops of either or all three oils to approximately 4 ounces of a carrier oil such as jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil or avocado oil. Use as a sealing oil and or massage your oil blend on to your scalp regularly to prevent many scalp issues and to produce healthy, shiny, beautiful hair.