I have often wondered what Civil rights leaders Martin Luther King or Coretta Scott King would have thought about the times we are living in.
My guess is that they would have a ton of hope and as pillars of the Civil Rights movement they would have a call to action that would guide us mentally and physically as we navigate the Trump era.
With that said it was not a stretch that Bernice King the youngest daughter of Martin Luther King would carry on her parents committment with a call to action. On Facebook Bernice King wrote out a 10 point call to action that she says will help us navigate forward in the “45” presidential era.
This is what she wrote:
1. Don’t use his name; EVER (45 will do)
2. Remember this is a regime and he’s not acting alone;
3. Do not argue with those who support him–it doesn’t work;
4. Focus on his policies, not his orange-ness and mental state;
5. Keep your message positive; they want the country to be angry and fearful because this is the soil from which their darkest policies will grow;
6. No more helpless/hopeless talk;
7. Support artists and the arts;
8. Be careful not to spread fake news. Check it;
9. Take care of yourselves; and
“When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system’s game. The establishment will irritate you – pull your beard, flick your face – to make you fight! Because once they’ve got you violent, then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don’t know how to handle is non-violence and humor.”
When you post or talk about him, don’t assign his actions to him, assign them to “The Republican Administration,” or “The Republicans.”
This will have several effects: the Republican legislators will either have to take responsibility for their association with him or stand up for what some of them don’t like; he will not get the focus of attention he craves; Republican representatives will become very concerned about their re-elections.
(Copy to paste to your Timeline – wider than sharing)
Bernice King prompted people to copy and paste her list to social media to spread the word. If you are not a Trump supporter and you are finding it difficult to deal with all the daily news of this presidency then this list is for you.
Thank you Bernice King