According to an exclusive with The Daily Mail Three Americans died after inhaling carbon monoxide while on vacation in Mexico City, the Mexican capital’s office of the attorney general told DailyMail.com on Tuesday.
Jordan Marshall and Kandace Florence, both aged 28, and Courtez Hall, 29, were each found dead on October 30 inside the Airbnb home they were renting out in the borough of Cuajimalpa de Morelos.
Florence, of Virginia Beach, and Marshall, of New Orleans, had traveled together to meet up with Marshalls’s friend Hall, who also resided in New Orleans, and celebrate the Day of the Dead festivities, according to NBC affiliate television station WAVY.
Florence reportedly informed her boyfriend during a conversation on the night of October 30 that she was not feeling well.
The phone call suddenly dropped and after failing to get her back on the phone, he reached out to the Airbnb host and asked them if they could visit the residence for a wellness check.
Security at the apartment complex requested the assistance of the Mexico City police after detecting a strong gas odor from the trio’s apartment, according to the Mexico City prosecutor’s office.
‘According to the [forensic] expert studies carried out, the three people referred to died of carbon monoxide poisoning,’ the attorney general’s office said.
The families said they have been in contact with the U.S. embassy to repatriate their bodies and have autopsies done.
Marshall and Florence were friends since high school. Marshall and Hall were teachers in the New Orleans school system and Florence operated her own candle business.
‘To lose your child is one thing, but in a whole other country and having to maneuver language barriers and travel and trying to get his body home, it’s been a lot,’ Marshall’s mom, Jennifer Marshall, said.
She traveled to Mexico City and spent hours at a police station waiting for a translator to show up. She was unable to retrieve his personal belongings which were being held by authorities.
Chad Florence traveled with his wife to Mexico and said the embassy was unable to provide interpreters to accompany them to visit the morgue and police.
Hall’s mother, Ceola Hall, told NBC affiliate WDSU that he had flown out to Mexico City on October 29 and last spoke to him that night.
‘It’s been so hard,’ Ceola Hall said. ‘We tried calling back over there for the funeral homes. Because of the language barrier and stuff you cannot get anything through or really understand.’
A Gofundme has been set up for Courtez Hall, link is here.