If you’re a product buff, you probably love organizing and re-organizing your stash.
However, sometimes it can seem like a tussle between your lifetime supply of eyeliner and the yen to keep your shelves clutter-free.
And, it doesn’t help that almost every influencer seems to have spotless #shelfies packed with stunning, unexpired products.
But what if we told you there’s a way to organize your products in the most efficient way possible?
Yes, according to beauty experts, there’s a way to make your space streamlined without foregoing your favorite products.
Keep scrolling to find out how.
Declutter Your Collection
This has to be the most challenging but rewarding part of the process.
It means you have to let go of unused products and toss out tubes of lipstick you’ve been hoarding for years.
You also need to check your products’ PAO (Period After Opening) and throw out any that might have surpassed their time – cream-based formulas, liquid eyeliner, and mascara have the shortest shelf lives.
So be sure to double-check them.
Sort by Category
After binning away expired and unused products, it’s time to sort out the remaining stash. It helps you work out what you own and allows you to place products neatly and systematically.
If you’re a skin-minimalism enthusiast, that means quickly sorting your products into categories – cleansers, serums, moisturizers, sunscreen, etc.
Customize Your Bathroom Cabinet
Once you have fewer products to work with, you can start building that bathroom cabinet pinned on your Pinterest board.
And since you’ve already categorized your products, you can design cute shelves (for your skincare products), get clear organizers (for your hair care products), and shower caddies (for your bath products) based on that.
You can also line them up from left to right, in order of what you use sequentially, for hassle-free morning routines.
The main goal is to avoid scrabbling around mid-routine looking for your moisturizer or leave-in conditioner.
Invest in Storage
Now that your skincare, haircare, and bath products are neatly tucked away in your bathroom cabinets, it’s time to organize your makeup stash and any extras.
1. Drawer organizers are perfect for placing certain product types together. They also prevent your items from rolling around in your drawer. Plus, some models come with additional pieces. So, as your beauty arsenal grows, your storage also grows. Is that a win or what?
2. Tight on space? Invest in a lazy Susan. The carousel organizer not only makes you look organized but also transforms into a spinning device that enables you to find your ‘most used products in a flash.
3. Mason jars in various sizes are perfect for organizing your cotton balls, hairpins, lip colors, tampons, and other nitty-gritty.
4. Makeup sponges are right next to mascara when it comes to the product’s shelf life.
That means they can easily become a breeding ground for bacteria if they’re not cleaned (every day) or stored properly. A sturdy sponge-holding stand serves as the perfect storage space for them.
5. As for your makeup brushes, a holder with different compartments allows you to keep your eye, face, and lip brushes separate.
6. Ah, nail polish. The ever-so-forgotten product in any beauty arsenal. Where should we keep you? Well, according to experts, rather than tossing your stash into a tub, use a picture ledge to display them as if they were an art piece.
7. If you often lose your single eyeshadow pieces in the shuffle, it’s time to look for a space completely dedicated to them. Enter ice cube trays. While it might seem weird, ice cube trays are an ideal place for storing all types of eyeshadow, from creams, pots, and powders to oblique-shaped jars. What’s more, they’re easy to clean—still winning.
8. Earrings, neckpieces, and bracelets can go in your jewelry box, clear acrylic stackable trays, or in a tiered system.
9. Your backups (think beauty gifts, seasonal perfumes, and ‘for guests only’ products) can go in a backups drawer, clear container, or in an over-the-door storage rack.
10. You can place perfumes and other aesthetically pleasing products on display – preferably on your bedside cabinet or dressing table.
Bubble Wrap Delicate Products When Traveling
If you’re a frequent flyer or road tripper, bubble-wrapping your eyeshadow palettes, powders, and glass products in a thick bubble wrap keeps them crack-free.
Afterward, place the wrapped in a waterproof bag for extra protection.