If You are looking for an amazing protective style that literally guarantees length retention, we recommend loose twists.
I first introduced loose twists here on the blog with this post but for the sake of quick explanation, it’s simply the installation of very loose two-strand twists to your hair.
The style keeps the fullness of your hair but “organizes” the length of your hair so that you retain more length.
How To Do Loose Twists
Tools/Accessories Needed: Clips to section your hair off, blow dryer (optional), your fingers
To start, simply section your hair into 4-6 sections and start with the back section. Grab a small section of your hair and begin to twist your hair at the root tightly but loosen the twist as you move down the section.
When you get to the end, twist the ends tightly so that the twist doesn’t unravel.
Watch this video to see what we mean
This one is cute too:
This stylist Does Great Loose twists
We came across a Nigerian stylist that does this pretty often for her clients and I thought that was pretty cool since I have not seen this service advertised a lot.
check out a few of her styles:
In some cases, @opaglamz will braid and create tighter twists or she will leave it loose from root to tip!
Blogger/model Cipriana Quann has been installing loose twists in her hair for years and her retention is A1.
If you look at her hair closely you will see small twists everywhere!
Why Loose twists will guarantee length retention
If you ask a guru or a stylist or us about length retention specifically with 4C natural hair the best advice we can give is to keep things simple.
Natural hair thrives when it’s organized and unmanipulated. Twisting your hair and leaving it alone will prevent tangles which is the number one cause of breakage with kinky curly textured hair.
Loose twists keep the hair loose so you can enjoy it but it’s a sneaky way to protect your strands at the same time.
If you are looking for a way to help retain length (because your hair is always growing) you should try loose twists.
1. Do the loose twists, 1- 2 weeks at a time, deep conditioning cleansing after each install.
2. Arrange your hair in the direction you want your twists to go. This way you can style them for the week without any issues.
3. Ask your stylist to help you with your first install so that you can get started quickly and learn the technique
4. Leave your hair alone, if you need to fix a twist or two during the week, then do that but for the most part, you do not have to manipulate the hair at all.
5. Fall in love with how your hair chooses to thrive. This is important because the temptation to manipulate the hair when trying something new is strong. Fall in love with your hair’s development without all of the extra manipulation.
View this post on Instagram
Loose Twist on stretched hair, easy to do, takes less time to install comparing to normal twist & it last me 3 weeks without retwisting back especially when I maintain them properly before bed I moisturize once a week or two when I wear them down outdoors, focusing more on the ends, & of course stretching with African Threading 🧵 method, easy to take out and my detangle process is way better now 😌
If you are thinking about length retention definitely try this protective style.
Oh and do not forget to read this post as well!