Tired of rocking the same old box braids? Looking to add some pizazz to your classic braided style?
Enter the world of French curl braids – the latest sensation taking over your TikTok FYP. A seamless blend of natural hair protection, movement, and glamour, it’s easy to see why this 90s style has come back with a bang.
Curious to know more? Keep scrolling for a sneak peek, along with 24 breathtaking French curl braid hairstyles to add to your fall lookbook.
What Are French Curl Braids?
French curl braids, like goddess braids or bohemian braids, are a revised version of traditional braids. Instead of the classic Kanekalon hair, French curl braiding hair is used in its place.
It is a versatile protective style that anyone can effortlessly take from the office to the beach (because it doesn’t require any modifications). The lower end of the plait is undone, voluminous, and wavy-curly to give you a drop-dead gorgeous look perfect for any occasion.
Contrary to what millennials and Gen Zs would like you to think, French curl braids are not a new hairstyle. They were popular back in the 90s and early aughts. Almost every main character in a Black sitcom, Girlfriends, The Parkers, Moesha, rocked this super-sexy style.
Types Of Hair Used
The best hair for French curl braids is either human hair or pre-curled French curl braids. Darling has incredible braiding extensions that come in the color of your choice.
You’ll need about 5 to 8 or more for voluminous, bouncy curls.
How To Do French Curl Braids
There are several ways to do French curls (everyone has their own style), but these are the standard practices:
Knotless French Curl Braids Method
1. Start on freshly cleaned and stretched hair.
2. Part the hair into sections.
3. Apply a braiding gel to the root of your hair to get a neat look and proper hold.
4. Begin braiding the hair as you would with regular knotless box braids.
5. To secure the ends, take a small strand and create a loop. Pull the strand through the loop, and voila. You have your first French curl braid.
6. Repeat the process throughout your hair, and remember to apply mousse when you’re done to achieve that gorgeously clean and neat finish.
Crochet French Curl Braids Method
To achieve the French curl braid style with this method:
1. Start by parting clean, moisturized, and blow-dried hair into four sections
2. Do this as you add a bit of braiding gel or edge control to help define your sections
3. Further, divide your sections into two more parts. These parted pieces should be equal to allow for a clean and neat look.
4. Start working on the sections by doing a natural hair braid
5. Take your crochet needle and start adding your already braided and pre-curled braids into your natural braid
6. Continue until you achieve the desired look. Mousse the style down, style ‘em edges, and conquer the world, hun!
24 Gorgeous French Curl Braid Styles
French curl braids are the perfect box braid alternative. They add a touch of elegance to your everyday look and add a spring in your step (who doesn’t magically become confident when they look really sexy?).
And styling them is also so effortless. But if you’re stumped on what style to go for next, here are some incredible options:
Hip-Length French Curls
Long hair, don’t (excuse me) never care!
Knotless French Curl Braids
You can never go wrong with some sleek braids. BTW, to ensure they last you longer than one week, make sure to clean and oil your scalp regularly. And run through some styling gel through the braid.
Short French Curls
Even if your job demands you to wear short hair, it doesn’t mean you have to be bored with it. Rocke these French curl braids and show that project who’s boss!
Long Black French Curl Braids
There’s a reason why black never fails. It’s gorgeous.
Gray French Curls
Silver, but make it playful.
Medium French Curls
If you’re not a fan of length but still want to retain that glam factor, opt for these medium-sized French curls.
Blonde Skunk Stripe French Curl Braids
Everyone on TikTok has been going gaga over these braids. And now we know why.
Layered French Curl Braids
She looks amazing. And that color compliments her skin so flawlessly.
Ginger French Curl Braids
Once you go ginger…
Red French Curl Braids
Red is bold. But there’s just something about it that always makes us want to try it. And maybe we can start with these sexy red French curl braids.
Half-Up Half-Down French Curls
When in doubt, always go half-up. It gets the hair out of your face but still retains that sexy allure. And with face-framing tendrils? G-o-r-g-e-o-u-s!
Mixed Colored French Curls
This color mix is🔥🔥🔥
High Pony French Curls
Don’t forget about high ponys, either. Ponys never go out of style, especially when you’re rocking them with long, jaw-dropping braided styles.
Brown French Curls
Brown With Blonde Ends French Curls
Need we say more?
Blonde French Curls
Pink French Curl Braids
With the Barbiecore trend still getting ’em girlies hot and bothered, pink hair is the only way to go.
French Curl Braids Kids
Yes, even kids look majestic in French curl braids. So if they’re tired of their old, back-to-school hairstyle, get your stylist to work in these, and you’ll have your child saying “I love you” and “thanks” every time they see you.
Purple French Curls
Purple rocks. Period!
Ombre French Curls
Sorry, but how sexy are these ombre French curl braids? If you’ve been looking for a reason to give the ombre tribe a try, consider this style your sign.
Peekaboo French Curls
There’s no reason you shouldn’t play around with color, especially when you have the attitude and swag to pull it.
Color Gradient French Curls
Oof! Gurrrlll…. this is hella pretty!
Half-Up Cornrow, Half-Down French Curls
Simple, cute, and out of your face.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do French Curl Braids Last?
The recommended timeframe for keeping braids or protective styles is 6 weeks.
How Much Do French Curl Braids Cost?
One pack of French curls costs about $15. And you need between 6 to 8 packs, so that’s $120.
And for labor and everything in between, the average stylist will charge you about $70. So you need about $250.
How Long Do French Curl Braids Take?
Based on your stylist, French curl braids can take anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.
How To Maintain French Curl Braids
To keep your braids looking gorgeous and lasting longer, be sure to:
• Wear a satin scarf or bonnet, or use a silk pillowcase to minimize friction and prevent tangling – this babe demonstrates it best
@dailydamiiii Replying to @lyssa🤟 ♬ Myne – 🎞
• Keep your scalp moisturized – a lightweight oil-based spray is the best option. Heavy products can weigh down your braids.
• Avoid manipulating your hair – refrain from constantly pulling or touching your braids to prevent hair breakage.
• Regularly cleanse your scalp using a clarifying shampoo or diluted apple cider vinegar to remove product buildup.
• To keep your French curl braids from tangling, apply a styling gel thrice a week and avoid brushing or combing the curl. If there are any tangles, use your fingers to separate and detangle them gently.
Can You Swim With French Curl Braids?
It is advisable always to wear a swimming cap whenever you have braids. And if this video is anything to go by, swimming with French curl braids can shorten their lifespan.
This babe had ‘em on fried mode:
@ididnotagreetothis My hair is fried😔😔#frenchcurls #braids #summer ♬ Who concerned bro – BangBang