Honestly speaking – although having peach fuzz is completely normal and natural (like underarm hairs, it’s there for a reason), sometimes you just want to angrily shave off your face in pursuit of smoother, clearer skin. Or unclog pesky pores, enhance product absorption (skincare is hella expensive) or, if you’re truly honest, because the TikTok skincare queens inspired you to do so.
And because (like you) we’re guilty of regularly falling down the #SkinTok rabbit hole, our latest obsession has been dermaplaning. You know, the painless skincare technique that involves carefully dragging a surgical scalpel across the skin’s surface to remove dead skin cells, peach fuzz, and oil buildup.
If you haven’t booked a dermaplaning session already or can’t tell what the fuss is about, here’s a guide to what dermaplaning is, its benefits, and the tools to invest in if you’re looking to improve your dermaplaning routine.
What Is Dermaplaning?
First things first – no. Dermaplaning isn’t the same as microdermabrasion. Although the two are similar, dermaplaning is a non-invasive cosmetic treatment that delivers exfoliation (dead skin cells) and hair removal (peach fuzz) thanks to the sharp scalpel. Microdermabrasion is a more aggressive technique that erases fine lines, wrinkles, and accident scars (more on that later).
And unlike your face scrub or razors, the skincare regimen is a turbo-charged exfoliator that delivers a brighter, smoother, radiant complexion in one fell swoop.
The best part?
The process is so effortless and effective that it helps rid your face of up to two weeks of dead skin cells, with results lasting over three weeks.
And while many dermatologists advise against dermaplaning at home (sharp blades and DIYs should NEVER go together), this skincare technique is one of the best ways to achieve glass-like skin.
Just ensure you’re using a new, fresh Dermaplane razor that is explicitly designed for your problem areas and follow the instructions provided to the tee.
What Are The Benefits?
Apart from sloughing off dead skin cells and peach fuzz, dermaplaning also:
- Smooths out uneven texture, giving you a sleekier base for your foundation and concealer, so no more cakey makeup for you
- It allows for a brighter-looking complexion, which means you can rock the all-natural look without any worry
- It’s the best skincare regimen for anyone looking to improve their skincare routine and get credible results – dermaplaning devices enable better serum and moisturizer penetration.
- Dealing with fine lines, wrinkles, and every other aging problem? No worries dermaplaning is your best bet.
- It’s a convenient and cost-friendly spa treatment option
The Dos & Don’ts Of Dermaplaning
For optimal dermaplaning results, make sure you:
- Prep your skin before your dermaplaning session. You can do so by steaming your face (hopping into a hot shower or using an at-home face-steaming device). Doing so loosens dirt and debris and makes the dead skin cells removal process a breeze.
- Rehydrate the skin post-dermaplaning to help protect your epidermal barrier. Sloughing off dead skin cells means stripping your skin of the outer protective layer, so you’ll want to cleanse the skin with the gentlest of cleansers. Afterward, apply a deeply hydrating, skin-barrier-enhancing moisturizer like hyaluronic acid or skin-loving ceramides.
- Avoid UV ray exposure three days after the treatment and coat your skin with SPF 50+ (as you already do, okay?). Although dermaplaning is relatively painless, you’re still losing a thin layer of skin, making your face more susceptible to sun damage. You should also be cautious of retinol and glycolic acids and limit your makeup use for that same reason.
Dermaplaning Tools To Help Improve Your Skincare Routine
Now that you’re swimming with dermaplaning knowledge, here are ECT-approved tools to help you improve your dermaplaning routine:
DermaFlash Luxe+ ($199)
If we’re spending in the triple digits for a skincare tool, it better give us credible results! And unlike that $$$ ‘miracle’ formula you saved for and then tossed, this DermaFlash Luxe+ Anti-Aging tool has been shown (clinical studies and all) to effectively smooth the skin and banish fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots.
The ‘for at-home spa treatment’ tool comes with two speeds, intensity settings and FDA-backed sonic technology that allows you to safely and gently de-flake, de-fuzz, and scrape off dead skin cells.
And don’t worry about nicks or cuts – the DermaFlash Luxe+ tool is equipped with new Microfine Edges that give you ultimate comfort and precision. Its proprietary safety feature delivers maximum protection.
To Use It:
Step 1: Prep
Prepare your skin by using PREFLASH® to get rid of surface oil
Step 2: Flash
Hold the Luxe+ at a 45-degree angle and glide over your face using short, wispy strokes
Step 3: Care
Slather on your favorite treatment mask, serum, or moisturizing cream/oil. Also, use Luxe+ Anti-Aging Tool once a week to maintain smooth, radiant, fuzz-free skin.
DermaFlash Cocooning Serum ($68)
Once you’ve applied this next-gen serum, you’ll wonder how you survived without it…just a few drops give your skin that hard-to-achieve golden glow while also skin-plumping thanks to the product’s peptide-packed formula.
The Mediterranean lavender relaxes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, the prebiotics + probiotics balance the skin’s microbiome and enhance antioxidant defense, and the anti-pollution molecule safeguards your skin from environmental stressors, including blue light + UV rays.
The Cocooning Serum also works hand in hand with Luxe+ and the Dermaflash Pore Extractor to enhance treatment results and maximize benefits, so you can kiss those pesky dark spots and clogged pores goodbye!
DermaFlash Pore Exfoliator & Serum Infuser ($99)
Got blackheads and clogged pores? Hi, same. Which means you’ll love this DermaFlash DERMAPORE skincare tool.
Its custom-curved spatula glides over wet skin for quick extraction with zero pain or irritation, while the ultrasonic waves (at 33,000Hz per second) gently loosen dirt, debris +oil, and unclog pores for a smoother, healthier, and clearer complexion.
The separate infuse mode boosts the penetration of skincare actives such as vitamin C, niacinamide, and retinol, making it the ultimate no-makeup-makeup tool for my-skin-but-better-obsessed queens.
To Use It:
Step 1: Extract Mode
Keep your skin wet throughout your treatment for an effortless, frictionless glide.
Step 2: Infuse Mode
Flip the device over, slather on your favorite skincare serum and glide over your skin to improve absorption.
Step 3: Clean It
This is a no-brainer. Clean your device between uses with a cleanser or alcohol-infused wipe.